“Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our likeness.” Genesis 1:26
June is National Men’s Health Month and as we center around Father’s Day, let’s look at how health is attained. If we are ‘made in HIS likeness – we have a responsibility to maintain our mind/body/& spirit as God planned. The purpose of Men’s Health month is to heighten the awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys. This month gives health care providers, public policy makers, the media, and individuals an opportunity to encourage men and boys to seek regular medical advice and early treatment for disease and injury. Men’s health is important to men, boys, wives, sisters, mothers, all whom are affected by the wellness of the man in their lives. What is important:
- Lifestyle is a family affair. How calm, comfortable, and healthy is your lifestyle?
- Understand and be aware of MENTAL HEALTH issues: Stress, Anxiety, & Depression. Do you have moments of joy in each day?
- How is your SHAPE? Check energy levels, abdominal girth, stamina, restfulness, & weight?
- Are you EXERCISING (even 10 minutes 3x daily) daily and enjoying our Arizona summertime?
- Are you FEEDING YOUR FITNESS: 5-9 fruit & veggies daily, adequate hydration, fish 2xweekly, and decreasing soda and sweetened beverages?
- Do you KNOW YOUR NUMBERS? Blood Pressure, Pulse, Glucose, Liver & Kidney function, Thyroid, Prostate wellness, Skin, Eye, Hearing, and Dental wellness?
- Have you taken a look at your SPIRITUAL WELLNESS? Do you take time to talk with God, find a calm spot, read your bible, and share with others? Remember your Pastor is always available to you to discuss any concern or just chat.
- Do you get some FELLOWSHIP time in each week? Coffee with the guys, phone a son or daughter, visit with your neighbor, reach out to someone in a positive way?
- How are your relationships? Do they need an improvement check? Are you nurturing those closest to you?
- Is your LIFE PLAN up to date? Financial assessment, Living Will, Will or Trust, Charity Plan, Copies of Medical Records & Emergency Numbers in one place?
- How are your SAFETY techniques? Sunglasses; Eye protection when working; First Aid Kits in Home, Car, and Workplace; Awareness of balance; and Fall Prevention.
- Are you teaching the other men and boys in your life about all of the above? God expects this of us if we are living in His likeness.
Make June your month for Men’s Wellness
Alice Stephenson BSN,RN,PN