“ Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life. . . . ”
Deuteronomy 30:19-20 (NIV
May is the month to focus on living well. Having experienced the Resurrection of our Lord, we know His plan for us is to live life to the fullest. As we enter the summer season, with travel, visits and visitors, hot weather, and sometimes loss of some of our services for a few months, let’s take stock of our plan:
- Continue the prayer and devotional life you experienced during Lent. Pick up the new Upper Room or Guidepost, or daily devotion guide. Make sure your Bible is in your bag.
- Traveling? Be sure to carry along Insurance Cards, Most recent lab reports, # of your Physician and Pharmacy, List of medications with dosages and assure adequate supply for trip duration.
- Plan for keeping medications protected from heat and damage. (cooler for Insulin or liquids).
- Assure update of all medical appointments before leaving home.
- Update vaccinations if traveling out of country & assure your Tetanus is up to date (every 10 yrs.) if RVing , camping or fishing.
- Is your Life Plan up to date and do your family members know where your important papers are?
- Take along car phone charger and list of important phone numbers.
- Always make sure someone knows of your plans when leaving home. Stop mail & papers and notify a neighbor to keep watch over your property.
- If you kennel your pet ( leave it in a motel or RV while you sight see) keep a note of where it is in your wallet and in your car.
- Update your auto, RV, and home First Aid Kit.
- Continue or increase your daily exercise program. If traveling—assure 30 min. walk daily and range of motion and balance exercises. If remaining at home, adjust your exercise program to adapt to the heat—-go walk the aisles of WalMart with your pedometer on; pop in a DVD walking tape or Big Ball exercise tape in the cool of your living room; Take advantage of cool evenings to take that walk.
- Plan to eat lighter—more fruits and veggies in season, decrease carb servings, and plan cool and lighter meals.
- Increase your daily fluid intake to match the warm weather. Take water along on hikes and walks, and always have water in your car.
- Equip car with water, hat, good walking shoes, and emergency numbers in case of stop in hot spot while driving.
- Enjoy your summer months
- LIVING ABUNDANTLY, LOVING WITH ABANDON, and FOLLOWING GOD’S GUIDANCE!!
Alice Stephenson BSN,RN,PN
Parish Nurse Consultant